Since 2009, security incident have compounded at an annual growth rate of 66%. When confronted with these statistics, it’s easy to become worried about your company’s internal network security.
In order to battle these network security threats, the first thing your company should do is conduct a network security assessment.
What is a network security assessment?
A network security assessment incorporates the reviews of security design principles, traffic flows, and network and security solutions. It will help you decide the steps that need to be followed to prepare yourself, your company and your network security infrastructure.
Interviews are conducted with key stakeholders to make sure there is a complete understanding of your company’s infrastructure, perimeter security and data flows
During the auditing process, the following steps will occur:
- Potential areas that are vulnerable to information compromise or disclosure are identified
- Problems and vulnerabilities of partners, employees, and stakeholders are pinpointed
- Weaknesses and issues within your company’s IT infrastructure are documented and analyzed
- Comprehensive scans are regulated to locate the IT equivalent of open windows
- Your internal network is tested to determine how it interacts with outside parties
- Internal network weaknesses are investigated
- All wireless nets, including Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, RFID and rogue devices are reviewed
- Employees are educated about social engineering attacks
Benefits of a Network Security Assessment
Based on these reviews, you should have a complete understanding of your environment, and you receive a report that summarizes your company’s current network architecture and current security.
The main benefits of a network security assessment are to:
- Enhance cloud security
- Recognize vital network assets and segment to be protected
- Find a balance between guaranteeing security and accomplishing compliance
- Understand your network’s design from a security standpoint
- Lower operating and capital costs by combining functionalities
- Line up security requirements with network architecture
- Increase perimeter and internal network security
- Integrate technologies that add value to your existing internal network security infrastructure
With the help of a network security assessment, you should be able to create changes and improvements to your architecture in order to improve your overall security posture.
Contact Dynamix Solutions to learn more about network security assessments or schedule one for your business today.